Wednesday 9 January 2008

Kasper in the Glitter by Philip Ridley

Hey there moonlit dudes!

I read a second Philip Ridley book this week, and this one is just as good as the rest.

Kasper in the Glitter is all about a boy called Kasper who lives with his mother, Pumpkin in an old hairdressing salon in a great wasteland known as The Nothing. In the distance lies the city, or The Glitter. Within The Glitter lies the scary underworld of The Gloom - home to The Lost; those without a home who are ruled by the mad King Streetwise.

When Kasper befriends a young and stylish boy called Heartthrob Mink, he is dragged into the world of The Lost where he must face the mad king to save his mother.

Kasper in the Glitter is just ace. Really, I've not read a bad Philip Ridley book yet. The formula he uses just works everytime. The characters and the names he gives them are fantastic.

As always, the last line made me choke back the tears, which is always a good sign in a book. I only have to think of the last line in Mighty Fizz Chilla and I'm filling up.

My only niggle is that it really should be called Kasper in the Gloom, as Kasper doesn't spend any time in The Glitter at all. But I suppose thatwould have been a dreary title.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments: