Sunday 15 July 2007

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

I was quite excited when I saw this book at Asda. It was coming up to my birthday and my in-laws were wondering what to buy me, so I asked them for this.

Skulduggery Pleasant is a detective. A dead detective. A dead, skeletal detective. When his rich, author friend Gordon dies and leaves everything to his niece, Stephanie, Skulduggery Pleasant and Stephanie become entangled in a plot that could see the end of the world as they know it if something isn't done about it forthwith!

Sounds exciting, don't it? And it is. There's plenty of action. Skulduggery cracks some excellent one-liners. Monsters and vampires abound, but there's just something lacking in it.

I'll put it down to it being a first book of an obviously projected series (but the awful bit with the Cleaver and the opening-for-a-sequel bit is really an unforgivable rush job). Skulduggery Pleasant had some very good bits and some seemingly rushed bit, which let the book down.

Rating: 3 out of 5
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
Published by Harper Collins
Price: £12.99
ISBN: 978-0-00-724161-3

No comments: